/

Violence and Expansion: Inside Israel’s Settler Push in the West Bank

Or Meir and other outposts highlight the growing conflict as settlers formalize land control amid rising attacks on Palestinians

1 min read
A new Israeli settler outpost near Deir Dibwan, in the Israeli-occupied West Bank December 13, 2025

The small Jewish settler outpost of Or Meir in the Israeli-occupied West Bank has become a flashpoint in a wider campaign to consolidate Israeli control over strategically important land, Reuters reports. Originally consisting of a handful of prefabricated shelters at the end of a short dirt track off Road 60, Or Meir and similar outposts have grown into permanent settlements, often amid violent clashes with local Palestinians.

Reuters reporting shows that the expansion of Or Meir and other outposts has involved attacks on Palestinian residents, including the Bedouin Musabah family, who say they were driven from their land by Molotov cocktails and other assaults. Messages on the outpost’s public Telegram channel celebrate such actions, reflecting the settlers’ aim to maintain long-term control over what they describe as strategic territory.

This year has seen some of the highest levels of settler violence against Palestinians in the West Bank, with UN data indicating more than 750 injuries. Israeli NGO Peace Now documented 80 new outposts in 2025 alone, the most since it began tracking settlements in 1991. On December 21, Israel’s cabinet approved 19 more settlements, including former outposts. Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich described the effort as a way to block Palestinian statehood.

For decades, settlers have built outposts without official authorization. While Israeli authorities sometimes demolish these sites, they often reappear and may later gain formal recognition. Or Meir, established roughly two years ago, has re-emerged multiple times despite evacuations, reportedly aided by fundraising. Reuters could not independently verify the donations or all the reported attacks linked to the outpost.

The expansion of settlements has fueled tensions on the ground. The Bedouin Musabah family told Reuters that attackers from Or Meir destroyed their home and barn in June, forcing them to seek refuge in a nearby village. Security forces arrived after the attack, but the suspects had already left. In other incidents near Beita, settlers have clashed violently with Palestinians harvesting olives, causing injuries, according to Reuters eyewitness reporting.

Observers say these outposts are part of a broader strategy to create continuous Israeli presence, limiting Palestinian access to the land. Dror Etkes, an Israeli peace activist, described the expansion as a deliberate fracturing of Palestinian territory. Or Meir’s Telegram account openly acknowledges the goal of establishing a “continuous Jewish settlement presence” in strategic locations near existing settlements such as Ofra.

While the Israeli military describes Or Meir as illegal and says it has been evacuated multiple times, government approval for settlements has accelerated under Finance Minister Smotrich, who announced over 51,000 housing units have been approved since late 2022. Reuters reporting shows that previously evacuated outposts such as Evyatar have gained official recognition, highlighting a pattern of transforming temporary settlements into permanent communities.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog