Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte was hit with a new round of impeachment complaints on Monday, reviving allegations of corruption, abuse of public funds and betrayal of public trust less than a year after a previous attempt to remove her from office collapsed. The filings underscore the intensifying political struggle in Manila as alliances fracture and attention shifts toward the 2028 presidential election.
Duterte, the daughter of former president Rodrigo Duterte and widely viewed as a leading contender to succeed President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, survived a similar impeachment bid last year after the Supreme Court struck it down for violating constitutional safeguards. Her legal team said the renewed challenge was expected. Lawyer Michael Poa said in a statement that the vice president was prepared to confront the accusations through proper constitutional processes.
The latest complaints were filed separately by civil society organizations and leftist groups, largely echoing allegations raised in last year’s effort. They accuse Duterte of misusing public funds, engaging in bribery related to government contracts and ignoring congressional inquiries. The complainants also cited alleged threats she made against Marcos, the first lady and a former House speaker who is also the president’s cousin.
One of the complaints argued that the constitution does not allow a vice president to treat public funds as a personal war chest or to obstruct oversight, calling such conduct a cynical disregard for public trust. Duterte has previously denied all allegations against her.
The renewed impeachment drive unfolds against the backdrop of a bitter rift between Duterte and Marcos, once allies but now political rivals. Marcos, who is barred by the constitution from seeking a second term, is expected to support a successor in a bid to block Duterte’s path to the presidency. The president himself is facing a separate impeachment complaint in the House of Representatives.
Asked to comment on the new filings against the vice president, the presidential communications office said the matter was for Congress to decide. It said the administration respected due process and the rule of law, adding that the president was committed to fighting corruption and that the public deserved to know the truth.
This time, the impeachment effort faces higher hurdles. Following last year’s failed bid, the Supreme Court imposed additional procedural requirements that complainants must meet. At the same time, recent midterm elections increased the number of Duterte allies in the Senate, whose members would act as jurors in any impeachment trial.
Senator Risa Hontiveros said the legal and political landscape now made the effort more difficult. Speaking to foreign correspondents on Monday, she said the Supreme Court’s final ruling had raised the bar for any new attempt, even as public scrutiny of the vice president continues to mount.

