The executive producer of CBS’s flagship investigative program 60 Minutes has resigned, citing a loss of journalistic independence as parent company Paramount weighs a potential settlement in a $20 billion lawsuit filed by U.S. President Donald Trump.
Bill Owens, who has led 60 Minutes since 2019, told staff in an internal email on Tuesday: “Over the past months, it has become clear that I would not be allowed to run the show as I have always run it. To make independent decisions based on what was right for 60 Minutes, right for the audience.”
His departure, reported by the Financial Times, lands at the heart of a storm engulfing CBS, Paramount, and the broader media industry, where corporate interests and political power are increasingly colliding.
Trump’s lawsuit stems from a 2024 interview with then–Vice President Kamala Harris, which he alleges was deceptively edited to misrepresent him during the heated presidential race. While CBS and its legal team maintain that the lawsuit is meritless, sources told the Financial Times that Paramount executives—including controlling shareholder Shari Redstone—have been discussing whether to settle or issue an apology in order to de-escalate the conflict.
The potential settlement has sparked outrage within the CBS newsroom, where journalists worry that caving to political pressure could signal a dangerous precedent for press freedom. “Bill has led 60 Minutes with unwavering integrity, curiosity, and a deep commitment to the truth,” said CBS News chief Wendy McMahon in a note to staff following his resignation.
The legal drama unfolds just as Paramount seeks regulatory approval for an $8 billion merger with Skydance Media, a studio backed by Trump ally Larry Ellison and run by his son, David Ellison. The merger adds a new layer of intrigue to Paramount’s legal strategy, raising questions about whether business interests are influencing editorial decisions.
The New York Times previously reported that both parties have hired a mediator, with talks expected to begin on May 30. Meanwhile, Trump has doubled down on his criticism. “I am so honoured to be suing 60 Minutes, CBS Fake News, and Paramount,” he posted last week on his Truth Social platform. “They should lose their license!”
The controversy echoes a broader trend under Trump’s second presidency, as media companies face intensifying legal and political pressure. In December, Disney settled a separate defamation suit with Trump for $15 million over reporting by ABC News.

