Iranian officials have confirmed that explosions occurred near multiple nuclear facilities in the early hours of Sunday, shortly after U.S. President Donald Trump claimed responsibility for bombing three Iranian nuclear sites.
The announcement marks a significant escalation in tensions between Tehran and Washington, raising fears of a direct military confrontation between the two countries.
According to Akbar Salehi, Deputy Governor of Isfahan, Iranian air defenses in Isfahan and Kashan were activated approximately an hour ago in response to what were described as “hostile targets.” Explosions were reported near the Natanz and Isfahan nuclear facilities, which have been central to Iran’s nuclear program.
“We witnessed attacks near the Isfahan and Natanz nuclear facilities,” said Salehi. “Additional news will be announced later.”
Meanwhile, in Qom Province, Morteza Heydari, spokesperson for the local crisis management headquarters, confirmed that part of the Fordow nuclear site had been attacked in what appeared to be a coordinated airstrike.
“Qom’s air defenses were activated and hostile targets were identified. Hours ago, part of the Fordow nuclear site was attacked,” Heydari said.
In a potentially mitigating detail, Iran’s state broadcaster IRIB reported that the three nuclear sites—Natanz, Isfahan, and Fordow—had been evacuated in advance, though the timing and reason for the evacuation were not disclosed.
This developing situation comes after President Trump’s public statement in which he confirmed that the U.S. had bombed three Iranian nuclear sites, an unprecedented admission and an act that could significantly reshape the already fragile Middle East security landscape.
Iranian officials have not yet confirmed any casualties or structural damage, and no official response from the Iranian military or leadership has been released regarding potential retaliation.

