Joshlin Smith’s Kidnapping Case Leaves South Africa Searching for Answers

Joshlin vanished from her home in Middelpos, Saldanha Bay, on February 19, 2024.

2 mins read
Jacquen Appollis, Steveno Van Rhyn and Kelly Smith during sentencing in the Joshlin Smith kidnapping case, Western Cape High Court, Cape Town, South Africa, May 23, 2025.

The Western Cape High Court has handed down life sentences to the three individuals convicted in the kidnapping and human trafficking of six-year-old Joshlin Smith. While the verdict brings a degree of justice, the case remains deeply unsettling for South Africa as the child’s whereabouts remain unknown more than a year after her disappearance.

Joshlin vanished from her home in Middelpos, Saldanha Bay, on February 19, 2024. The subsequent investigation uncovered a horrifying betrayal—her own mother, Racquel “Kelly” Smith, conspired with her boyfriend, Jacquen “Boeta” Appollis, and a family acquaintance, Steveno “Steffie” van Rhyn, to sell the child for R20,000 (approximately $1,050 USD). The reason given in court: her “eyes and skin.”

The three were convicted earlier this month and sentenced on May 29 to life imprisonment for human trafficking, along with an additional 10 years for kidnapping. They showed little emotion during sentencing and declined to testify in their defense. All three have signaled their intent to appeal the judgment.

Despite the convictions, authorities confirmed this week that the search for Joshlin remains active. “Our thoughts remain with the family of Joshlin Smith,” said Lieutenant General Thembisile Patekile, Western Cape’s provincial police commissioner. “May they find some comfort in knowing that justice has prevailed. SAPS remains fully committed to exploring every possible lead in the pursuit of real closure in this tragic matter.”

Silence and Grief: A Family’s Agony

Joshlin’s godmother, Natasha Andrews, voiced the family’s anguish. “They were given a chance to say something—anything—that could have helped us find her, but they said nothing. Kelly didn’t even shed a tear,” she told reporters outside court. “That chance is gone. Now we just hope one day we will find her.”

Joshlin’s paternal grandmother, Louretta Yon, described the betrayal as “harsh” and said she hopes Kelly will one day reveal the truth. Even Kelly’s own mother, Amanda Smith-Daniels, said, “She did the crime, and the law must take its course.”

National Attention and Global Shock

The case has drawn widespread attention across South Africa and beyond, spotlighting the harrowing realities of child trafficking in the region. Activists have called for greater oversight and more community-based interventions to prevent similar tragedies.

Media outlets such as Reuters, People, and AP News reported on the deeply disturbing nature of the case, highlighting testimonies that linked the transaction to a traditional healer. However, law enforcement has not been able to confirm the child’s fate, and no one has been able to locate the buyer or determine what ultimately happened to Joshlin.

Other Notable Cases and Legal Precedents

This is not the first time the Western Cape courts have handed down a life sentence for human trafficking. In 2019, a man was convicted and sentenced for trafficking multiple women into forced sex work. The judge in that case emphasized the need for deterrent sentences in a country struggling to curb organized trafficking.

The Joshlin Smith case, however, stands out for its cruelty and emotional weight—both because of the child’s age and because of the direct involvement of her mother. Advocacy groups have urged the government to improve protections for vulnerable children and increase funding for anti-trafficking task forces.

The Search Continues

While the judicial process may have reached its conclusion, for the Smith family and many in the Saldanha Bay community, the nightmare is far from over. Candlelight vigils, school memorials, and social media campaigns continue to keep Joshlin’s name in the public consciousness.

“Even if it takes years, we’re not giving up,” said Natasha Andrews. “Somewhere, someone knows what happened.”

Authorities urge anyone with credible information to come forward, promising anonymity and full protection. The South African Police Service (SAPS) remains actively engaged in following leads and reviewing evidence.

If you have any information regarding Joshlin Smith’s whereabouts, please contact your local police or dial the SAPS Crime Stop number: 08600 10111.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog