/

Kenyan Parliamentary Inquiry Accuses British Troops of Sexual Misconduct

The committee said its investigation “uncovered a disturbing trend of sexual misconduct by BATUK personnel, marked by rape, assault, and abandonment of children fathered by soldiers.”

1 min read
British and Kenyan soldiers were took part in an integrated tactical training exercise in Laikipia County [File Photo/UK Gov]

A Kenyan parliamentary inquiry has accused British soldiers stationed in the country of engaging in widespread sexual misconduct and causing environmental damage, warning that the behaviour of the forces has led to perceptions of the British Army Training Unit Kenya (BATUK) as an “occupying presence” rather than a partner.

The report, published Tuesday on the parliament’s website and dated Nov. 25, comes amid growing public frustration over long-standing allegations involving British troops, who use Kenya as a key training hub. Thousands of British soldiers pass through the East African nation each year.

A spokesperson for the UK Ministry of Defence said in a statement to Reuters that Britain “deeply regrets the challenges that have arisen in relation to our defence presence in Kenya” and expressed willingness to investigate any new claims once evidence is provided.

The inquiry’s most high-profile focus is the 2012 killing of 21-year-old Kenyan woman Agnes Wanjiru near a British training base in Nanyuki. The case resurfaced after years of pressure from Wanjiru’s family and local rights activists, who argued that a defence cooperation agreement between the countries had helped shield suspects. British soldier Robert Purkiss, who has denied involvement, was arrested in the UK last month and now faces extradition proceedings.

The committee said its investigation “uncovered a disturbing trend of sexual misconduct by BATUK personnel, marked by rape, assault, and abandonment of children fathered by soldiers.” Public hearings also revealed reports of Kenyan workers suffering injuries and deaths while clearing unexploded ordnance for the British without proper protective equipment.

Lawmakers further accused BATUK of causing environmental damage through the illegal disposal of toxic substances. “BATUK is increasingly seen as an occupying presence rather than a development partner,” the report stated.

In its submission to the committee, BATUK said it maintains a zero-tolerance policy toward sexual exploitation and abuse, stresses that all allegations are taken seriously, and noted that environmental audits show high compliance with Kenyan regulations.

The current UK-Kenya defence cooperation agreement, signed in 2021, is due to expire next year, raising the likelihood of difficult negotiations as scrutiny intensifies over the British military’s future presence in the country.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog