The sudden collapse of RightsCon 2026, the world’s largest digital rights conference, has sent shockwaves through the global human rights community, exposing the growing reach of geopolitical influence into civil society spaces. The event, scheduled to take place in Lusaka, Zambia, was expected to convene thousands of participants from around the world to discuss urgent issues at the intersection of technology and human rights. Instead, it was canceled just days before its opening, amid allegations of pressure from the Chinese government.
Organized by the nonprofit Access Now, RightsCon has for over a decade served as a central platform for dialogue on internet governance, surveillance, censorship, and emerging technologies. This year’s gathering was set to host more than 2,600 in-person attendees and over 1,100 online participants, representing more than 150 countries and hundreds of organizations. The scale and diversity of the conference made its abrupt cancellation all the more significant.
According to Access Now, the disruption was triggered by concerns raised by Chinese authorities over the participation of Taiwanese civil society groups. The organization says it was informed through multiple sources that diplomats from the People’s Republic of China were pressuring the Zambian government to take action. Organizers were allegedly told that in order for the conference to proceed, they would need to exclude Taiwanese participants and potentially limit discussions on sensitive topics related to China’s global influence.
Access Now rejected these conditions, stating that they directly conflicted with the core values of RightsCon. The organization emphasized that the conference is built on principles of inclusivity, open dialogue, and the protection of fundamental freedoms. Agreeing to such demands, it argued, would undermine the very purpose of the event.
The sequence of events leading to the cancellation unfolded rapidly. On April 27, organizers became aware that the presence of Taiwanese participants had drawn attention from Beijing. Reports soon followed that Chinese diplomats were attempting to influence how Zambian authorities handled the entry of these individuals into the country. Shortly afterward, the Zambian government publicly announced that the conference would be postponed, citing administrative and security concerns related to participant clearances.
Behind the official statements, however, organizers describe a lack of transparency and communication. Access Now says it received little formal explanation from Zambian authorities and struggled to obtain clear answers despite repeated attempts to engage. A planned meeting with government officials was delayed and never took place, and the organization only received a formal written notice after the postponement had already been publicly announced.
The fallout extended beyond logistical disruption. Participants who were preparing to travel were left in uncertainty, with some reportedly told upon arrival that the conference had already been canceled. Taiwanese organizations, including those planning to attend, had been warned in advance about potential entry issues and were advised to delay travel while the situation remained unclear.
Human rights groups have reacted strongly to the development. Amnesty International described the cancellation as a troubling example of transnational repression, warning that powerful governments are increasingly using their influence to silence dissent beyond their borders. The organization argued that the incident reflects a broader pattern in which political pressure is used to shape international forums and exclude voices deemed sensitive or undesirable.
China’s stance on Taiwan is well established, with Beijing consistently opposing any recognition of Taiwan as a separate entity in international settings. Critics argue that this policy is now being extended into civil society spaces, where even non-governmental participation can become a point of contention. The RightsCon episode appears to illustrate how such geopolitical tensions can directly impact global discussions on human rights and technology.
Zambia’s role in the situation has also come under scrutiny. The country maintains close economic ties with China, which is a major investor and creditor. Chinese-funded infrastructure projects play a significant role in Zambia’s development, including the expansion of the conference venue where RightsCon was to be held. While Zambian officials have cited procedural reasons for the postponement, they have not directly addressed the allegations of external pressure.
The timing and manner of the decision have raised questions about governance and transparency. Canceling an event of this magnitude just days before it was set to begin has significant consequences, not only for organizers and participants but also for local businesses and partners who had invested resources in preparation. The lack of clear communication has further intensified concerns about the decision-making process.
The impact has been felt beyond RightsCon itself. World Press Freedom Day events, which were scheduled to coincide with the conference in Lusaka, were also disrupted, with many activities relocated or moved online. This overlap has amplified concerns about the shrinking space for global dialogue on rights and freedoms, particularly in regions where such conversations are increasingly sensitive.
For many in the digital rights community, the cancellation represents a turning point. RightsCon has long been a rare space where diverse stakeholders—from grassroots activists to major technology companies—can engage in open discussions about the future of the internet. Its disruption highlights the vulnerability of such platforms in an era of intensifying geopolitical competition.

