/

EU Issues Burner Phones to US-Bound Officials Amid Rising Espionage Concerns

Brussels tightens cybersecurity protocols for IMF and World Bank meetings in Washington, treating US like China and Russia.

2 mins read
Ursula Von der Leyen, the lead candidate of the European People's Party (EPP) for the presidency of the European Commission, speaks at the European Parliament in Brussels, Belgium, June 9, 2024. (Xinhua/Zhao Dingzhe

Brussels has begun issuing burner phones and basic laptops to senior European Commission staff travelling to the United States, over fears of potential espionage, in a move typically reserved for visits to China and war zones such as Ukraine.

According to sources cited by the Financial Times, the extraordinary precaution has been introduced ahead of next week’s spring meetings of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank in Washington, with three EU commissioners set to attend.

Officials familiar with the matter told FT that the updated security protocols reflect growing concern in Brussels over the risk of surveillance by US authorities—an issue that has been exacerbated by recent geopolitical tensions and the re-election of Donald Trump.

“They are worried about the US getting into the Commission systems,” one EU official said, highlighting the escalating mistrust even between long-time allies.

The decision underscores the deteriorating state of transatlantic relations, with several Commission insiders now considering Washington a potential adversary when it comes to cyber-espionage. Staff have reportedly been advised to power down their devices at the US border, store them in anti-surveillance sleeves, and avoid carrying standard IT equipment unless absolutely necessary.

The updated guidance comes just as key EU figures—including Economy Commissioner Valdis Dombrovskis, Financial Services Chief Maria Luís Albuquerque, and Development Commissioner Jozef Síkela—prepare to meet with senior US officials, including Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick. Trade tensions are mounting, and Brussels has so far delayed retaliatory measures against $21 billion worth of US goods in response to long-standing steel and aluminium tariffs.

The transatlantic alliance, once considered unshakable, has been visibly strained in recent months. President Trump has accused the EU of being designed to “screw the US” and introduced reciprocal tariffs, while simultaneously pressuring Ukraine and signalling openness to reducing America’s security commitments in Europe.

As Financial Times reported, such measures reflect not only cybersecurity anxieties but also the shifting geopolitical calculus in Brussels. Luuk van Middelaar, director of the Brussels Institute for Geopolitics, remarked: “Washington is not Beijing or Moscow, but it is an adversary that is prone to use extra-legal methods to further its interests and power.”

Van Middelaar referenced past controversies, such as the Obama administration’s alleged spying on then-German Chancellor Angela Merkel, to underscore that such caution isn’t limited to Republican leadership.

The Commission’s diplomatic service confirmed the guidance update, though it declined to comment on specifics. A spokesperson said the move is in line with “routine security assessments” and reflects a proactive approach to evolving cyber threats.

Further complicating matters is the US practice of allowing border agents to seize and search the electronic devices of visitors. Several European researchers and tourists have previously been denied entry for carrying material critical of US policies.

In one recent case, a French academic was reportedly deported after border agents discovered a personal critique of US research practices on his device—raising alarm over freedom of speech and privacy rights even for high-level European officials.

The European Commission has now instructed its staff to use diplomatic “laissez-passer” documents for visas instead of their national passports to ensure additional protections under international law.

As geopolitical rifts widen, Europe’s increasing mistrust of even its oldest allies signals a new era of digital caution—where no destination, not even Washington, is treated as fully secure.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog