/

Hong Kong Jails Jimmy Lai for 20 Years in Landmark National Security Case

Sentence against media tycoon and Apple Daily founder intensifies global alarm over press freedom and the rule of law in the city

2 mins read
Jimmy Lai walks through Hong Kong's Stanley prison in July 2023. Concerns have grown about his health in detention.

Hong Kong’s most prominent media tycoon, Jimmy Lai, was sentenced on Monday to a total of 20 years in prison on national security charges, bringing to a close the city’s most high-profile national security prosecution and capping a legal saga that has stretched nearly five years. Lai was convicted on two counts of conspiracy to collude with foreign forces and one count of publishing seditious materials, offences the court said were of a grave nature.

The court ruled that the 78-year-old founder of the now-defunct Apple Daily newspaper played a central role in the alleged conspiracies, describing him as the “mastermind” and driving force behind efforts to seek foreign intervention. The sentence falls within the most severe penalty range under Hong Kong’s national security law, which allows for punishments from 10 years to life imprisonment.

Lai, who holds British citizenship, has consistently denied all charges, telling the court he is a political prisoner being persecuted by Beijing. His conviction follows his first arrest in August 2020, amid a sweeping crackdown that followed mass pro-democracy protests in 2019, and a guilty verdict handed down last year.

The sentencing has drawn sharp criticism from international leaders and press freedom advocates, further straining Hong Kong’s global reputation as a free and open society. U.S. President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer have both publicly criticised Lai’s prosecution, framing it as emblematic of the erosion of civil liberties in the China-ruled financial hub.

Press freedom groups condemned the ruling in stark terms, warning of its chilling effect on journalism worldwide. Advocates said the decision marked a decisive blow to media independence in Hong Kong and called on the international community to increase pressure on Beijing to secure Lai’s release.

Lai appeared in court wearing a white jacket, smiling and waving to supporters with his hands clasped together in a praying gesture. Dozens of supporters queued for days to secure seats inside the courtroom, while authorities deployed heavy security, including large numbers of police officers, sniffer dogs, and specialised vehicles around the area.

Supporters and human rights organisations expressed grave concern about Lai’s health, warning that the lengthy sentence could amount to a life term. Lai suffers from multiple medical conditions, including heart palpitations and high blood pressure, raising fears that he may not survive prolonged imprisonment.

The case has also become a sensitive diplomatic issue. Starmer raised Lai’s situation directly with Chinese President Xi Jinping during talks in Beijing last month, according to people briefed on the meeting, while Trump discussed the matter with Xi during a meeting last October. Western diplomats say negotiations over Lai’s fate may intensify now that sentencing has concluded, depending on whether he chooses to appeal.

Alongside Lai, six former senior Apple Daily staff members, an activist, and a paralegal are also due to be sentenced, extending the impact of the case beyond its central figure. Media advocacy groups argue the proceedings demonstrate a broader assault on protections that once underpinned Hong Kong’s press freedom.

Beijing has rejected such criticism, maintaining that Lai received a fair trial and that the national security law applies equally to all, insisting it has restored stability and order to the city. For critics, however, the 20-year sentence stands as a defining moment in Hong Kong’s transformation, underscoring the far-reaching consequences of the national security crackdown for dissent, journalism, and the city’s future.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog