Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has revealed that he was diagnosed with early-stage prostate cancer and underwent treatment, but delayed publicly disclosing the condition for two months, citing concerns that the information could be used against Israel during wartime tensions with Iran. The announcement comes as questions grow over transparency regarding the health of Israel’s longest-serving leader.
In a statement released on social media, Netanyahu, who turns 77 in October, said he chose to postpone the publication of his annual medical report to prevent what he described as potential exploitation by Iran amid heightened regional conflict. He stated that releasing sensitive health information during active hostilities could have been used as part of psychological or informational warfare targeting Israel.
According to the official health report, Netanyahu had previously undergone surgery on December 29, 2024, for an enlarged prostate, a procedure that had already been publicly acknowledged at the time. However, subsequent routine medical follow-ups reportedly revealed early-stage prostate cancer. His physician at Hadassah Medical Center in Jerusalem confirmed that he was given treatment options including active monitoring or radiation therapy, and that he ultimately opted for targeted radiation treatment, which was completed over two months ago.
Netanyahu said he received immediate treatment upon diagnosis, emphasizing that early detection allowed for successful intervention. He described the procedure as short and effective, claiming the cancer was fully treated and left no remaining trace. He also framed his approach as consistent with his leadership philosophy, stating that potential risks should be addressed immediately both in personal health matters and in national security decisions.
The disclosure adds to ongoing public scrutiny of Netanyahu’s medical history. In 2023, he was hospitalized after collapsing, with officials initially attributing the incident to dehydration. It was later revealed that he had been fitted with a heart monitoring device and subsequently underwent a pacemaker implantation procedure, raising questions at the time about the completeness of information shared with the public.
Following the latest announcement, opposition figures have renewed calls for greater transparency regarding the prime minister’s health. Lawmakers argue that the medical condition of a sitting leader is a matter of national security and that delays in disclosure undermine public trust. Critics are also demanding clarification on why the diagnosis was not made public earlier, especially given the prolonged period between detection and announcement.
The revelation comes during a period of heightened regional instability, including ongoing tensions and military confrontations involving Israel and Iran. Netanyahu stated that his decision to delay disclosure was influenced by concerns that adversaries could use the information for propaganda purposes during the conflict.
Despite the controversy, Netanyahu insists he is in excellent health following treatment and has resumed his full working schedule. However, the timing and handling of the disclosure have intensified political debate within Israel over leadership transparency, national security communication, and the balance between personal privacy and public accountability during times of war.

