Prince Harry Says He Seeks Reconciliation, But King Refuses to Speak

Despite the courtroom defeat and personal setbacks, Harry remains adamant about one thing: he wants reconciliation. Whether the Royal Family is prepared to reciprocate remains an open question.

1 min read
Heritage sued the Department of Homeland Security last year to force the release of Harry’s US visa records following him admitting to using psychedelics in his book, claiming the prince had not been “truthful” in his application.

Prince Harry has expressed a desire to reconcile with his family, but says his father, King Charles III, refuses to speak with him due to the ongoing legal dispute over police protection in the UK. In a candid interview with the BBC following his failed appeal for taxpayer-funded security, the Duke of Sussex said he felt unsafe bringing his family to Britain.

“I can’t see a world in which I would bring my wife and children back to the UK at this point,” Harry said. He warned that the current situation, which leaves him without guaranteed police protection, is not just inconvenient but dangerous. He cited a May 2023 car chase in New York and past threats from terrorist groups as evidence that his life remains at risk.

The Prince, who stepped down from royal duties in 2020 and now resides in California, lost his Court of Appeal bid on Friday to reinstate automatic taxpayer-funded police security during visits to Britain. The judge, Sir Geoffrey Vos, acknowledged that Harry made “powerful and moving” arguments but ruled that his grievance did not amount to a legal basis to overturn the decision.

The ruling concluded that the decision to downgrade his security was a direct, though unintended, consequence of his withdrawal from official royal duties and relocation abroad. Vos noted there was no recent precedent for Harry’s situation, comparing it to Edward VIII’s abdication in 1936.

Harry claimed he had been subjected to “especially inferior treatment” compared to other royal family members and VIPs. He alleged that the Royal Household played a role in influencing the reduction of his security and referred to the decision-making process as a “good old-fashioned establishment stitch-up.”

The legal battle has further strained already fragile ties with the Royal Family. Harry revealed that the breakdown in his relationship with King Charles and Prince William was worsened by the fallout from the security dispute. “I don’t even know how long my father has left,” he said, expressing regret that legal wrangling had replaced personal communication.

The Duke faces legal costs estimated to exceed £1.5 million after the dismissal of his appeal. His lawyer, Shaheed Fatima KC, emphasized the gravity of the case, saying it was about the real safety of a public figure with a known threat profile. She criticized the government’s security committee, Ravec, for not relying on expert advice and for creating a “bespoke” process after Harry moved abroad.

Government counsel Sir James Eadie KC countered that Ravec had continued to review Harry’s situation, even though it was not obliged to do so. He clarified that the decision was not an outright denial of any future protection, but rather a case-by-case consideration.

As the legal dust settles, Harry’s sense of isolation appears to deepen. “People would be shocked by what’s being held back,” he said, referencing parts of the case heard in private. “My worst fears have been confirmed.”

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog